Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Explore Maharashtra: Introduction.

An elderly lady selling limbu sherbat on the way to Rajgad Fort.
When I went down to India for a much-needed break, I basically had 2 objectives:
1. Explore Goa on my own - preferably on a bike.
2. Travel to Pune (Maharashtra) to meetup with my family (who were flying directly from Kuwait to Pune), and spend some quality time with them.

As far as sight-seeing or photography goes, I did not have any expectations regarding Maharashtra. I find the place over-crowded, unhygienic, and communication with the people is a hassle as I don't know Marathi, and my knowledge of Hindi is very limited.

The only concrete plan I had made regarding Maharashtra was that I would try to do the "Rajgad Fort" trek - which is supposed to be a very challenging one-day trek. I also had some vague idea of spending a few days in Lonavla or a similar hill station - just to unwind myself.

Once I landed in Pune, I learned 2 things:
1. Maharashtra has massive history dating back to thousands of years. It also has an amazing natural beauty crafted by the Sayadhri mountains range.
2. For a decent amount (around Rs. 3000/- per day), you can hire a good car (such as the Toyota Innova) plus the driver - and drive anywhere you want.

I wasted no time in plotting a sight-seeing agenda that included historical places like Ajanta and Ellora Caves, challenging treks to various forts, and of course, unwinding in the beautiful hill stations of Mahabaleshwar & Lonavla.

It ended up being the most interesting time for the whole family. Long drives, interesting places and people, eating strawberries fresh from the garden, food poisoning and even a theft of my beloved Nike running shoes.

Over the coming few days, I'll try to sort out all the photos and organize them by place. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

maximumdistortion said...

hey cajie,

I had a question for you on 248am but I suppose you were on vacation back then and the post got washed way back. My question was about the sigma 30mm 1.4, does your copy have any issues at all?

I intend to buy a copy myself and I want to make sure that the 400 dollars dont go to waste.

Also what warranty do have with your lens? would the shop in muthanna'a take care of if a problem arises?

Your insight is most valuable

Cajetan Barretto said...

Hi,
I've never faced any problem with my 30mm. I really love the lens - though it doesn't get much use because I am more comfortable with my 17-55.

As for warranty, I have never really paid much attention to that as I've never faced any problems (so far) with any of my lenses. So I can't comment on this.