|Aerial view of the 4 pillars with the backdrop of Panjim city.|
By: Sanjeev V Sardesai
The history of the village of Santa Cruz, which is more popularly known as “Calapur” or “Kalapur”, a small peaceful hamlet, primarily with an agrarian heritage, and just about 5 kms from the capital city of Panaji, is quite amazing, when one is exposed to many of its facets of ecological, historical & natural assets, from time immemorial.
To better understand the history of this quaint Goan village, we must travel back in time to understand the possible identity granted to this area. Immediately preceding the arrival of the Portuguese rule in 1510, the territory on the island of Tiswadi, comprising 30 wards/ villages (“Tis”= Thirty; “Wadi”=wards/villages) was under the tutelage of the Adilshahi dynasty. This region of the Konkan belt came under Muslim rule since 1469, when the Bahamani reign overthrew the Kadamb rulers and anchored themselves on these lands. Later it was the Adilshahi Empire that took charge of these lands, after the breakup of Bahamani Dynasty.