Monday, September 22, 2008

Reflections


Reflections
Originally uploaded by Cajie.
I was trying to figure out a way to shoot still objects with some nice reflections. Not 100% reflections using a mirror - just a hint of the object's reflection.

The solution that I came up with is pretty simple (and cheap).
1. Take a kitchen cutting board (I used a white plastic one, but I guess any board will do; even some hard cardboard should be fine)
2. Tape some white A4 paper over it.
3. Wrap it in some plastic; preferably the self-adhesive plastic roll that you find in the bookstores to wrap school books.

The plastic over the white A4 paper gives a nice shiny reflections to your objects.

To take this picture, I placed my DIY reflective board inside a lightbox and had some fun taking pictures of various objects that I found around the house.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome shot & awesome idea!

Mathai said...

Thanks for the tip, do you have a DIY light box ? I'm trying to make one and am a little confused about the light source to use. Is it ok to use white CFL lamps from the top and both sides ?

Cajetan Barretto said...

I bought a light-box from one of the photography shops in the City. I think around 10-15 KD.
For lighting, I use 3 CFL lamps (top, left, right). I place the lamps on cheap lamp stands that I picked up from Ikea.